- Forbidden Kingdom: Explore the enigmatic and once-forbidden Kingdom of Upper Mustang, a hidden gem in the heart of Nepal.
- Preserved Cultural Heritage: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of the region, where ancient traditions, practices, and beliefs have been preserved for centuries.
- Unspoiled Beauty: Witness the untouched and raw beauty of the arid landscapes, unique rock formations, and stunning vistas that define the Upper Mustang region.
- Himalayan Panorama: Marvel at breathtaking views of the mighty Himalayan peaks, including Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and more, forming a majestic backdrop throughout the trek.
- Unique Tibetan Influence: Experience the distinctive Tibetan influence in the language, dress, culture, and spiritual practices of the local inhabitants, creating a fascinating blend of Nepalese and Tibetan traditions.
- Historic Monasteries and Caves: Explore ancient monasteries, fortress-like structures, and mystical caves that hold centuries-old art, artifacts, and spiritual significance.
- Tiji Festival: If timed right, witness the vibrant Tiji Festival, a three-day cultural extravaganza celebrated in Lo-Manthang, showcasing traditional dances, rituals, and music.
- Less Crowded Trekking Route: Enjoy the tranquility of a less crowded trail as Upper Mustang receives fewer trekkers compared to other popular trekking destinations in Nepal, allowing for a more serene and immersive experience.
- Rain Shadow Area Trek: Traverse the rain shadow region of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges, making Upper Mustang an ideal trekking destination even during the monsoon season when other regions receive heavy rainfall.
- Intimate Cultural Encounters: Interact with the warm-hearted locals, gain insights into their daily lives, and partake in their ancient customs, creating meaningful cultural exchanges and lasting memories.
Upper Mustang Trek Overview
Embark on a remarkable journey with Nepal Everest Holidays as we guide you through the enigmatic Upper Mustang Trek. This trek unveils the secrets of the forbidden Buddhist Kingdom of Lo Manthang, tucked away in the arid river valley beyond Kagbeni. This captivating region was inaccessible to foreign travelers for decades, preserving its ancient traditions, cultural heritage, and untouched landscapes. Immerse yourself in the unique charm of Upper Mustang as you traverse its ascending trails, encounter remote villages, cross suspension bridges, and delve into lush forests.
Discover the Hidden Gem
The Upper Mustang region, nestled near the Tibetan border, showcases a remarkable blend of Tibetan influence and Nepalese charm. The language, dress, culture, and philosophies of the locals bear striking similarities to their Tibetan counterparts. This cultural fusion adds depth to your trekking experience as you interact closely with the warm-hearted locals, gaining insights into their daily lives and ancient traditions.
Unparalleled Scenery and Himalayan Views
Prepare to be mesmerized by the breathtaking vistas that unfold before you during the Upper Mustang Trek. Feast your eyes on majestic Himalayan peaks, including Annapurna I, Mt. Dhaulagiri, and Mt. Nilgiri, standing tall against the clear blue skies. Unlike any other in Nepal, the region's arid landscapes create a surreal backdrop for your journey, immersing you in its raw and untamed beauty.
Preserving the Legacy
Upper Mustang's seclusion and restricted access have helped preserve its cultural heritage and architectural treasures. Explore ancient monasteries, fortresses, and caves that hold stories of the past. Adorned with chortens, prayer wheels, mani walls, and fluttering prayer flags, the trail is a tapestry of spirituality and devotion.
Permits and Requirements for Upper Mustang Trek
To undertake the Upper Mustang Trek, certain requirements must be fulfilled. Solo trekking is prohibited, and trekkers must be part of a group of at least two individuals. Nepal Everest Holidays, a licensed trekking agency, ensures your safety and compliance with regulations. To undertake the Upper Mustang Trek, you must obtain special permits, including an immigration permit, ACAP permit, and TIMS card, through authorized channels.
A Glimpse into the Forbidden Kingdom
The capital city of Upper Mustang, Lomanthang, welcomes you with its mystical aura. Enclosed within protective walls, this ancient city reveals its rich cultural heritage through traditional houses and iconic monasteries. Witness the grandeur of the Namgyal Monastery and immerse yourself in the vibrant Tiji Festival, an annual celebration that marks the victory of truth over evil.
Monsoon Season Trek to Upper Mustang
Contrary to popular belief, the Upper Mustang Trek is an ideal monsoon season trek. Nestled in the rain shadow of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges, the region experiences minimal rainfall. It allows for a captivating trekking experience even during the monsoon months. For an extended adventure, consider combining the Upper Mustang Trek with the Annapurna Circuit.
Choose Your Path
Whether you prefer the intimacy of trekking or the thrill of an overland jeep tour, Nepal Everest Holidays caters to your preferences. Trekking enthusiasts can immerse themselves in the gradual ascent, while those seeking a faster pace can opt for the overland jeep tour. Whichever path you choose, the landscapes and cultural encounters will leave an indelible mark on your soul.
Book Your Upper Mustang Trek Today
Embark on a transformative journey to the Forbidden Kingdom of Upper Mustang with Nepal Everest Holidays. Customize your itinerary and ensure a hassle-free experience with our experienced team. Discover the enchanting allure of the rain shadow region, witness ancient traditions, and relish the grandeur of the Himalayas. Unveil the secrets of Upper Mustang and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Day to Day Itinerary
Upper Mustang Trek Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu and Transfer to Hotel
Upon your arrival in Kathmandu, you will be warmly greeted by our team from Nepal Everest Holidays. They will assist you with the transfer to your hotel, where you can relax and unwind after your journey. Take this opportunity to rest and prepare for the upcoming adventure.
Day 2: Sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley
Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Kathmandu Valley as you embark on a sightseeing tour. Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites such as Pashupatinath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa, Swayambhunath Temple, and Kathmandu Durbar Square. Marvel at the intricate architecture, ancient temples, and vibrant atmosphere that make Kathmandu Valley a cultural treasure trove.
Day 3: Kathmandu to Pokhara (7-8 hours)
Embark on a scenic drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara, a beautiful lakeside city nestled in the lap of the Annapurna mountain range. Enjoy the picturesque landscapes, charming villages, and river valleys along the way. Upon reaching Pokhara, check into your hotel and take a stroll around the serene Phewa Lake in the evening.
Day 4: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom (2700m) and Trek to Kagbeni (2858m) - 4 Hours
Take a short flight from Pokhara to Jomsom, a gateway to the Mustang region. Begin your trek by walking to Kagbeni, a charming village located at the confluence of the Kali Gandaki and Jhong Rivers. Explore the narrow alleyways, traditional houses, and ancient monasteries that showcase the unique cultural heritage of the region.
Day 5: Trek from Kagbeni to Chele (3050m) - 6 Hours
Embark on a picturesque trek from Kagbeni to Chele, traversing through arid landscapes and rugged trails. Witness the stunning vistas of the Himalayas, including Nilgiri, Tilicho Peak, and Annapurna I. As you reach Chele, settle into your lodge and immerse yourself in the peaceful surroundings.
Day 6: Trek from Chele to Syangboche (3475m) - 7 Hours
Continue your trek as you ascend to Syangboche, passing through Taklam La Pass and Samar village along the way. Marvel at the unique rock formations and ancient caves that dot the landscape. Enjoy the panoramic views of the Mustang region and spend the night in Syangboche.
Day 7: Trek from Syangboche to Ghaymi (3520m) - 6 Hours
Embark on a scenic trek from Syangboche to Ghaymi, passing through Yamdo La Pass and fascinating Tibetan-style villages. Immerse yourself in the rich Tibetan culture and witness the locals' way of life. As you reach Ghaymi, explore the village and interact with the friendly locals.
Day 8: Trek from Ghaymi to Charang (3500m) - 5 Hours
Set off on a memorable trek from Ghaymi to Charang, also known as Tsarang. Traverse through beautiful landscapes, ancient monasteries, and traditional Tibetan-style houses. Explore the historic Charang Monastery, which houses exquisite artifacts and murals depicting Buddhist deities.
Day 9: Trek from Charang to Lo-Manthang (3700m) - 6 Hours
Reach the highlight of your Upper Mustang Trek as you make your way to Lo-Manthang, the ancient capital of the Mustang Kingdom. Walk through the walled city, home to the King's Palace, monasteries, and ancient caves. Immerse yourself in the unique culture and traditions that have been preserved for centuries.
Day 10: Acclimatization at Lo-Manthang
Take a well-deserved rest day to acclimatize and explore the wonders of Lo-Manthang. Visit the Namgyal Monastery, attend prayer ceremonies, and interact with the locals to gain deeper insights into their way of life. Absorb the spiritual atmosphere and marvel at the panoramic views of the surrounding Himalayan peaks.
Day 11: Trek from Lo-Manthang to Drakmar (3810m) - 7 Hours
Bid farewell to Lo-Manthang and commence your trek toward Drakmar. Traverse through arid landscapes, cross high passes, and witness the unique beauty of the region. Pass by ancient monasteries, prayer flags, and picturesque villages as you make your way to Drakmar.
Day 12: Trek from Drakmar to Ghiling (3806m) - 6 Hours
Embark on a scenic trek from Drakmar to Ghiling, taking in the captivating vistas of the Mustang region. Discover the local lifestyle and traditions as you pass through traditional villages and monasteries. Enjoy the serene atmosphere and unwind in Ghiling.
Day 13: Trek from Ghiling to Chhuksang (3050m) - 6 Hours
Continue your descent as you trek from Ghiling to Chhuksang. Enjoy the beautiful landscapes and immerse yourself in the rural surroundings. Witness the stunning rock formations and experience the warmth of the local hospitality.
Day 14: Trek from Chhuksang to Jomsom (2700m) - 7 Hours
Conclude your trek as you make your way back to Jomsom. Trek through the captivating landscapes, cross suspension bridges , and pass through charming villages. Reach Jomsom, where you can celebrate the completion of your trek and relax in comfort.
Day 15: Fly Back to Pokhara
Bid farewell to the Mustang region as you take a scenic flight from Jomsom back to Pokhara. Enjoy the aerial views of the Himalayas and the tranquil beauty of Pokhara. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel and spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 16: Drive Back to Kathmandu
Embark on a scenic drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu, reflecting on the incredible experiences and memories of your Upper Mustang Trek. Once you reach Kathmandu, check into your hotel and take the opportunity to explore the vibrant city or indulge in some souvenir shopping.
Day 17: Final Departure
After an unforgettable journey through the Mustang region, it's time to bid farewell to Nepal. Our team will assist you with your transfer to the airport for your departure, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free end to your adventure.
- 3-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara, including breakfast.
- Teahouse accommodation during the trek, offering a comfortable and authentic local experience.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during the trek, providing nourishment and energy for your journey.
- Welcome and farewell dinners to celebrate the beginning and conclusion of your trek.
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary, ensuring convenience and safety.
- Domestic flights for the Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara route, allowing for efficient and scenic travel.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by a knowledgeable and English-speaking guide, providing insights into the cultural and historical significance of the sites.
- Entrance fees for sightseeing and monument visits as per the itinerary, allowing you to explore and appreciate the rich heritage of Nepal.
- An experienced, English-speaking, and government-licensed trek leader and assistant trek leader, ensuring your safety, guiding you along the trail, and providing valuable insights.
- Porter service to carry your main luggage during the trek, allowing you to trek with a lighter load and enjoy the journey.
- Staff costs, including salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food, and accommodation, ensuring the well-being and professionalism of our team.
Permits and Documentation:
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits, including the National Park Permit and TIMS (Trekkers' Information Management System), ensuring compliance with regulations and enabling access to the trekking area.
Safety and Medical Support:
- Medical kit carried by your trek leader, providing essential first aid supplies and support throughout the trek.
- All government and local taxes, ensuring compliance with legal requirements.
With Nepal Everest Holidays, you can embark on your Upper Mustang Trek with peace of mind, knowing that all these inclusions are provided to make your journey comfortable, safe, and enriching.
What's not included?
Nepalese Visa Fee:
- The fee for obtaining a Nepalese visa is not included. You will need to arrange and pay for the visa separately.
Excess Baggage Charges:
- Any charges for excess baggage on flights or during the trek are not included. Please check with the respective airlines for their baggage policies.
Extra Night Accommodation:
- Additional nights of accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara, which may be required due to early arrival, late departure, or early return from the mountain, are not included in the package. These additional nights will be at your own expense.
Meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara:
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara are not included in the package. You are free to explore the local culinary scene and choose meals according to your preferences.
- International flights to and from Nepal are not included in the package. You will need to arrange your own international airfare.
Travel and Rescue Insurance:
- It is highly recommended to have travel and rescue insurance that covers trekking activities. This insurance is not included in the package, and you are responsible for arranging it.
Equipment and Gear:
- jacket and sleeping bag for your use during the trek
- trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt, and trekking map etc. you should rent yourself
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, internet usage, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, shower facilities, and any other expenses of a personal nature are not included.
We encourage you to consider these additional expenses and make the necessary arrangements accordingly. Our team at Nepal Everest Holidays can provide guidance and assistance in organizing these services if required.
Q: Do I need a special permit to trek in Upper Mustang?
A: Yes, a special permit is required to trek in Upper Mustang. You will need to obtain an immigration permit, ACAP permit (Annapurna Conservation Area Project), and TIMS card (Trekkers' Information Management System) through authorized channels. Our team can assist you in obtaining these permits.
Q: How difficult is the Upper Mustang Trek?
A: The Upper Mustang Trek is considered moderate to challenging in terms of difficulty. It involves trekking through remote areas with varying terrain, including ascending and descending trails, crossing high passes, and navigating rocky and uneven paths. Prior trekking experience and a reasonable level of fitness are recommended.
Q: What is the best time to trek in Upper Mustang?
A: The best time to trek in Upper Mustang is during the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) seasons. These months offer stable weather, clear skies, and pleasant temperatures, making it ideal for trekking and enjoying the stunning landscapes. However, it is also possible to trek in Upper Mustang during the monsoon season (June to August), as the region falls in the rain shadow area and experiences less rainfall.
Q: What is the accommodation like during the trek?
A: Accommodation during the Upper Mustang Trek is typically in teahouses or guesthouses. These basic lodges offer simple rooms with twin beds and shared bathroom facilities. While the accommodations may be more basic compared to city hotels, they provide a comfortable and authentic experience in the remote mountainous region.
Q: What should I pack for the Upper Mustang Trek?
A: It is essential to pack appropriate trekking gear and clothing for the Upper Mustang Trek. Some important items include sturdy trekking boots, warm layers, a waterproof jacket, a hat, gloves, a sleeping bag, a daypack, sunscreen, and a water bottle. Our detailed packing list will guide you on what to bring for a comfortable and safe trekking experience.
Q: Is altitude sickness a concern during the trek?
A: Yes, altitude sickness is a potential concern during the Upper Mustang Trek due to the high altitudes reached. It is important to acclimatize properly, stay hydrated, and listen to your guide's instructions. Our experienced trek leaders are trained to recognize the symptoms of altitude sickness and will closely monitor your well-being throughout the trek.
Q: Are there ATM facilities available during the trek?
A: ATM facilities are limited in the Upper Mustang region, and it is recommended to carry enough cash (in Nepalese Rupees) to cover your expenses during the trek. It is advisable to withdraw cash in Kathmandu or Pokhara before starting the trek.
Q: Is travel insurance required for the Upper Mustang Trek?
A: Yes, travel insurance is mandatory for the Upper Mustang Trek. It should cover medical expenses, emergency evacuation, and trip cancellation/interruption. Ensure that your insurance policy is valid for high-altitude trekking and adequately covers the activities and destinations of your trek.